Participate in the SMCQ Jeunesse Piano Competition focused on an original work by our maestro Walter Boudreau!
In his pursuit to promote today’s Canadian repertoire, in January 2013, pianist Alain Lefèvre will premiere Walter Boudreau’s Concerto de l’Asile with the Montreal Symphony Orchestra. To celebrate the launch of this masterful work, the SMCQ is establishing a competition to introduce young pianists to the creative process from the interpreter’s viewpoint.
The prize-winner will interpret Valse de l’asile (version excerpted from Concerto de l’asile in an orchestration especially created by Walter Boudreau for the occasion) at the Grand concert FAMEQ on November 23rd, 2012, at the Palais Montcalm in Quebec City. Accompanying the prize-winner will be the Ensemble vent et percussion de Québec under the direction of René Joly.
This project has been created in collaboration with the “Fédération des associations de musiciens éducateurs du Québec” (FAMEQ) and the “Centre de musique canadienne au Québec” within the framework of the New Music New Places program, with thanks to Heritage Canada and SOCAN.
- $1000 grant
- 4 tickets to the premiere of Concerto de l’asile featuring the MSO and Alain Lefèvre on January 15th and 16th 2013, at the Maison symphonique de Montréal.
- Behind-the-scenes meeting with Alain Lefèvre
Pianists aged 21 years old or under as of January 1st 2012
To obtain scores
- Valse de l’asile, version for piano solo, is available at doberman
- Valse de l’asile, version for piano and ensemble, is available for free upon request from the SMCQ at email@example.com (attn: Claire Cavanagh.)
- Valse de l’asile Version for solo piano
- version for piano and ensemble excerpted from Walter Boudreau’s Concerto de l’asile
Note: Scores may be used at auditions
Registration form (free). Deadline: October 30th 2012
Second week of November 2012 in Montreal and Quebec (dates to be confirmed)
For more information
Youth activities and publics coordinator
Tel: 514-843-9305 ext. 308
News written by Claire Cavanagh (translation: Peggy Niloff) and posted on Thursday, September 20, 2012.